Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Its alive!!!

I thought I would take a look at the animals that really drive the reef aquarium hobby. It is the animals that make up the base structure of the wild reefs, its the vibrant colors that we all drool over, and the small joy we feel when we notice our favorite colony has grown a few new polyps.

To me coral are among the most "alien" animals that we share the planet Earth with. Most of the general public does not and will never realize that these animals exist with us. I think the one thing that separates us from these unique animals is that they have an infinite life span! I have found a few videos that show just how alive these animals are.


There are different kinds of coral in the world and I will show you a few different ones. The first is a video that shows five kinds of Xiena.


Next up is one of the corals that is near to extinction, the Stag Horn. This video is a time lapse that shows the corals growth over two years.


Some different shots of coral up close. Taken by a local hobbyist by a handle on Michiganreefers.com of Poseidon







No comments:

Post a Comment